Advanced 500 Hour Teacher of Therapeutic Yoga Certification
Important News Regarding Yoga Therapy
The International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) have developed new standards for Yoga Therapists. On Saturday, June 7, 2014, Ajna was awarded accreditation for our new 800 Yoga Therapy Program. (read about our new accredited program here)
Under the new guidelines from IAYT, students beginning their studies as of January 1, 2014 must complete 800 hours of training, additional to their initial 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training Program.
If you are considering Yoga Therapy Training, you can choose to do either 500 Hours or 800 hours of training. You can only apply to be recognized as an Accredited Yoga Therapist by IAYT if you complete 800 hours of Yoga Therapy training (unless you began your training prior to 2014). You can apply to become a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT-500) through Yoga alliance if you complete the 500 hours of Yoga Therapy training.
"Awesome team. All teachers have their expertise in different fields-very complimentary, warm, genuine support for the group, passionate and always made things fun throughout."
------------ 2011 500 Hour Yoga Therapy Graduate
This program is registered with the Yoga Alliance
The 500 Hour Yoga Therapy program is an advanced level Teacher Training program, open to any graduates of a Yoga Alliance certified 200 Hour level course. The 500 Hour designation refers to the total cumulative hours of both programs. The 500 Hour designation is the highest level of Yoga Teacher Training recognized by the Yoga Alliance. Ajna Yoga is a member school of the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT).
- Take 1-3 years to complete the training.
- Workshops run throughout the whole year!
- Workshops hours - Friday 5-9pm, Sat & Sun 9am-5pm
- Each workshop comes with its own Yoga Therapy Manual.
- Students receive a certificate stating they have completed 20 hours of training for each workshop
Ajna Yoga is registered with PCTIA. In British Columbia, private career training is regulated. Any private career institution offering a program with tuition of $1,000 or more and 40 hours or more in duration is required to register and adhere to basic education standards.
PCTIA was cretaed to carry out the important role of student protection in the pivate career training sector. It is committed to protecting student interests. Explore their website (www.pctia.bc.ca) for mroe resources on how to be an informed student, get a list of registered and accredited insitutions, and learn about how your tution is protected.
Have a read through our Policies
500 Hour Yoga Therapy Course oultine
Tuition and Fees
$800 80 Hour Intensive (minus deposit)
$2,800 Program Tuition
(minus deposit, includes 8 workshops, Internship, Mentorship & all course manuals)
$4600 TUTION COST
($150 is a non refundable registration fee)
To pay online with mastercard/visa
Option One - Full payment at the time of registration ($4,600).
Option Two - Payment Plan for full Program ($4,600)
Deposit of $800 at the time of registration
Four installments of $950. First installment is due on the first of the following month.
Payment balance must be paid in full 2 weeks before start date.
Option Three – Payment of Program minus 80 -Hour Intensive ($2,800 Total)
Deposit of $800 at the time of registration
Two installments of $1,000
First Installment is due on the first of the following month.
Payment balance must be remitted in full 2 weeks before the start date.
*Note: Option Three is for students wishing to complete the program on a flexible time schedule and who do not wish to take the 80 Hour Intensive in the current year. In order to graduate from the program and receive the 500 hr certificate, students must complete all modules, including the 80 Hour Intensive.
Option Four – Payment of Intensive only – ($1,600)
(Certificate in 80 hours of Advanced Therapeutic Yoga Training)
Deposit of $800 at the time of registration.
$800 to be paid one month before the Intensive.
*Note: With option One, Two or Three, Students receive $20 off each workshop ($160 discount in total)
Option Five: - Payment per workshop- when paying per workshop, fee of each workshop is $320
- cheque made out to Ajna Yoga
- visa/mastercard through our MInd body system
To pay by cash e-mail or call Michelle at 250-812-8355
To pay by cheque, please mail to:
2185 Theatre Lane
Please click here to apply online. We will then contact you within 7 days of receiving your application to let you know if you have been accepted. At this point you will have 10 days to confirm your enrollment in the program. To confirm your enrollment, you must submit the following:
- Registration Payment (please see Payment Options)
- Signed student contract
* Please be aware that these programs are in high demand and we cannot hold spaces beyond this 10-day period.
Program Admission Requirements
Students must have completed their 200 hour, level 1 Yoga Certification.
Refund Policy for Students:
$150 non refundalble registration fee
1) A student may be entitled to a refund of tuition fees in the event that:
(a) The student provides written notice to the institution that he or she is withdrawing from the program; or
(b) The institution provides written notice to the student advising that the student has been dismissed from the program.
2) The written notice of withdrawal or dismissal may be delivered in any manner provided that a receipt or other verification is available that indicates the date on which the notice is delivered.
3) The notice of withdrawal or dismissal is deemed to be effective from the date it is delivered.
4) The refund to which a student is entitled is calculated on the total tuition fees due under the contract. Where total tuition fees have not yet been collected, the institution is not responsible for refunding more than has been collected to date and a student may be required to make up for monies due under the contract.
5) If the institution has received fees in excess of the amount it is entitled to under the student contract, the excess amount must be refunded.
6) Refund policy for students:
(a) Refunds before the program of study begins:
1. If written notice of withdrawal is received by the institution within 7 days after the contract is made, and before the commencement of the period of instruction specified in the contract, the institution may retain 5% of the total tuition and fees due under the contract to a maximum of $250.
2. If written notice of withdrawal is received by the institution 30 days or more before the commencement of the period of instruction specified in the contract and more than 7 days after the contract was made, the institution may retain 10% of total tuition only due under the contract to a maximum of $1000.
3. Subject to Section 6(a)(1) above, if written notice of withdrawal is received by the institution less than 30 days before the commencement of the period of instruction specified in the contract, and more than 7 days after the contract was made, the institution may retain 20% of the total tuition only, due under the contract to a maximum of $1300.
7) Refunds after the program of study starts:
(a) If written notice of withdrawal is received by the institution or a student is dismissed before 10% of the period of instruction specified in the contract has elapsed, the institution may retain 30% of the tuition due under the contract.
(b) If written notice of withdrawal is received by the institution, or a student is dismissed after 10% and before 30% of the period of instruction specified in the contract has elapsed, the institution may retain 50% of the tuition due under the contract.
(c) If a student withdraws or is dismissed after 30% of the period of instruction specified in the contract has elapsed, no refund is required.
8) Where a student did not meet the institutional and/or program specific minimum requirements for admission through no misrepresentation or fault of their own, the institution must refund all tuition and fees paid under the contract, less the applicable non-refundable student application or registration fee.
9) Where a student withdraws or is dismissed from their program, they are entitled to 100% refund of any as-yet to be received consumables that have been pre-paid.
10) Where a student withdraws or is dismissed from their program after receiving technical equipment from the institution free of charge:
(a) The student must return the equipment unopened or as issued within 14 calendar days; and
(b) If the student fails to return the equipment as set out above, the institution may deduct the reasonable cost of the equipment from any amount to be refunded to the student.
11) Refunds owed to students must be paid within 30 days of the institution receiving written notification of withdrawal and all required supporting documentation, or within 30 days of an institution’s written notice of dismissal.
12) Where the delivery of the program of study is through home study or distance education, refunds must be based on the percent of the program of study completed at the rates as set out in Section 7 above.
A minimum of 8 students are required to run the course. If a session is cancelled, your deposit will be refunded in full or transferred to another session.
Credit for the course may be transferred to another workshop at a later date, if more than 72 hours notice is given.
Ajna's 500 Hour Yoga Therapy Program - Scholarships available
Need assistance in paying for our program. We are now offering 2 scholarships per year for $600 off. Full Course fee with scholarship is $4000.
To apply please submit:
- A letter detailing how you will benefit from our Yoga Therapy Course
- A copy of your current Notice of Assessment (Income Tax)
- A letter of support from a Yoga Teacher
A recommended reading for this program is to read up on kinesiology and anatomy, from a yogic perspective:
- Skeletal system
- Muscular system
- Therapeutic applications of asana and pranayama
This reading is recommended for each student prior to the program, as it will greatly help understanding when reviewing the functions of the body during the program. "Yoga Body: Anatomy, Kinesiology and Asana" by Judith Hanson Lasater, Ph.D, P.T, is highly recommended for this reading, as it covers all the required reading material in a way that is clear and easy to understand.
In order to graduate from Ajna Yoga's Teacher Training Program students must completely fulfill the following requirements:
1) All modules must be completed in a maximum of three years. If you are unable to attend a workshop, you may attend the same workshop the following year. All workshop modules will be repeated each year. The 80 Hour Intensive course will be repeated each year.
2) The internship and the mentorship modules must be successfully completed. Both modules will be adjudicated by the student’s Mentor or the Director of the program. The internship module requires a written outline of the 6 week course.
3) Students must be prepared for each class by bringing a notebook, writing material (pens, highlighters). Students must wear clothes suitable for asana practice.
4) During class modules students are required to take part in group assignments and demonstrate learned material.
This Intensive training will provide you with a working knowledge of how to apply yoga therapeutically to clients with specific health concerns.
- Applied anatomy for therapeutic yoga
- Asana modifications for different health concerns
- Therapeutic pranayama, mudra & meditation
- Sequencing for different needs
- Practice teaching (to groups and to private clients)
You plan, publicize and teach a six-week course in a non-profit organization or a free class in a local studio. You choose your placement, including the population you teach.
Ajna faculty will assist you with your placement and will observe and provide feedback on your teaching. Ideas for the internship are: young moms, homeless people, people with arthritis and office workers.
The Internship is completed during your participation in the 500 Hour Program. To initiate the Internship, you must submit a 250 word proposal detailing the population you will teach and a general outline of the six-week course. Once the proposal is approved, you will submit a full curriculum for your six-week course.
If you live outside of Victoria, you may take your Internship in your local community. It is your responsibility to find a mentor who holds the 500 Hour Designation to give your feedback during the six-week course. This will most likely be your mentor from the Mentorship module.
You choose a teacher to shadow and assist in six of their classes. You must first take two classes as a student of the class before beginning the mentorship. Specific reading and homework will be given to you at your mentor’s discretion. You may do your mentorship with any member of the Ajna 500 hour faculty.
If you live outside of Victoria, you may find your own mentor in your local community who holds the 500 Hour Designation. To mentor with a teacher outside of the Ajna Faculty, you must submit an letter signed by your proposed mentor.